Featured post

Ram Jethmalani Interview

RAM JETHMALANI INTERVIEW Mr. Ram Jethmalani is one of India’s top lawyers known to be an able cross examiner, an outstandin...

Saturday 11 August 2018

In conversation with the rising star, Ashima Mandla

In conversation with my friend and fellow lawyer Ashima Mandla.




 Ashima Mandla practices at Supreme Court of India and holds various leadership positions including General secretary, Greater Kailash  Youth Congress, National legal head of international anti-terrorism movement, Delhi State Vice-President of International anti-terrorism movement, Co-founder of Adhikar (Indian youth congress’s legal cell) and social media coordinator, Democratic Mirror.

Ashima is an excellent organiser, a cyber buff and has an extremely pleasant demeanour in her television interviews- Mr. K.T.S. Tulsi Member Parliament (Rajya Sabha) and Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India


What made you take up law?

When I was in seventh grade, I was working for my school’s Environmental club and at that time I initiated a rather small project in association with the officer of His Holiness The Dalai Lama on Tiger Protection. Letters of 1000 students were addressed to the then PMOs office, tackling the issue of ‘chubas’, ornaments made from the tiger skin, bones and teeth. Mr.Bittu Sahgal, the Editor Of Sanctuary Asia and the founder of Kids for Tigers, was (and still is) my mentor. He played an instrumental role in my passion to work towards Environmental Protection. Subsequently, I worked a little with the UNDP for climate change; and TERI & WWF. This is where my inclination towards law and policy making started to develop. 

How did the shift from wanting to pursue criminal law from environmental law happen?

The shift is all owing to Hon’ble Member Parliament (Rajya Sabha) and Senior Advocate Mr. K.T.S. Tulsi. After finished my graduation from LSR in Psychology, when I started to read law school, my first internship was under Mr. Tulsi. Sir’s sheer passion towards his cases, the dynamic spectrum of work that hehas done ranging from his philanthropic works in personal capacity and that of an MP, his notable pro-bono cases like Upahaar cinema, where he has done about 150 hearings without no charge. He taught me the virtue of giving back to the society, to be the voice of people so they do not go unheard. I remember this one conversation I had the honour of having with Sir, where he emphasized the need for working for the representation of undertrials languishing in jail, to provide them the justice they deserve. So, even though I was oriented towards doing either corporate or environmental law, those 4 weeks changed interning under Mr. Tulsi completely changed my perception and I wanted to make my career in criminal law.

What were the early years like?

I have an extremely supporting and doting family who always encouraged and motivated me to experiment and venture out. My schooling was from Delhi Public School, Mathura Road where I was involved in a range of extra curricular activities. I have always been rather keen on taking up projects and designing projects them. I always thought of going into the direction of politics but my time in LSR was fairly academic, owing to the curriculum. However, when I joined Faculty of Law, everything changed. Right from the commencement of the course, I was inclined towards politics including student politics. I realized that in order to effect  a change in the society, politics provides you a far wider scope, with the opportunity to make effective policy decisions and oversee their implementation. So, in 2014 I contacted the Indian Youth Congress(IYC) we were able to establish the With India Foundation to address an umbrella of social issues.  Under this foundation we funded the college fee of many students who  came from unprivileged backgrounds. After With India, various other new doors opened up. In my second year of law that’s, a few us came together and founded Adhikaar IYC’s Legal Cell of Adhikar under the able guidance of then IYC National President Mr. Amrinder Singh Raja Brar. Thereafter, I along with a few others, started an online talk-show called the Democratic Mirror (link) on Youtube, which is based on a role-reversal between politicians and journalists. This is by that time I had started appearing for television debates. 
Then of course, when I joined Mr. Tulsi, Sir very graciously afforded a platform to contribute towards social development through MPLAD (Member of Parliament Local Area Development) Scheme, and understand the finer workings of the system. 

Did you face any struggles on the way, especially as a woman?

I think that even though times are progressing, the glass ceiling does exist. But at the end of the day you cannot allow anyoneelse’s opinion affect your own ability to perform at the end of the day. If you believe in yourself, are willing to learn from your mistakes and utilize the opportunities bestowed upon you in the best possible manner, you can be unstoppable

What kind of work are you doing now and plan on doing in the future?

As far as I know, I am going to stay in politics. I am incumbently the General Secretary of Greater Kailash Assembly(IYC) and National Legal head of the Anti-Terrorist Movement, an NGO recognized by UN.
The one case which was by far the most challenging was the PIL seeking an SIT in Loya which Ms. Mandakini Singh and I filed in the Hon’ble Supreme Court. Moreover, last year, with the team MASUKA, I assisted in the drafting of the Protection of Lynching Bill, 2017 which was introduced in the Winter Session (2017) as a Private Members’ Bill in Rajya Sabah by Mr. Tulsi. 
Currently we are doing a couple of other PILs in Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for public interest, combating social atrocities and towards development of the society. With the experience from matters such as Loya, Aadhaar and other PILs, I came to the realization that fighting for justice is truly a challenging battle, though very rewarding. But these may not come easy.
Any advice for the younger generations?
In my opinion, it is imperative to be goal driven but also develop the virtue of patience and persistence. The baton is always passed on to the next generation.

On working with Mr. K.T.S. Tulsi Member Parliament (Rajya Sabha) and Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India

I owe my legal career to Mr. Tulsi. He is my biggest inspiration, my guiding light like the North Star. His humbleness, generosityand humility are inimitable. My tutelage under his office as an Associate has shaped my career and personality. Lucky are those who have the privilege to be guided and molded by sir. His encouragement and support is the reason behind me venturing out my independent practice.

She can be reached at ashimamandla@gmail.com




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog and it is very informative. Get exciting opportunities for Legal Advisor Vacancies in Delhi Law Offices with Lawvs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,
    Thank you for sharing the knowledgeable blog with us I hope that you will post many more blog with us:-
    Looking to Find Lawyer services like Criminal lawyer services, Banking lawyer services , Family lawyer , Divorce lawyer ? Contact with legaladvicekart.com.we Provide best services in india
    Email: info@legaladvicekart.com
    Click here for more information:- more info

    ReplyDelete